Village of Sewerby
(As Spelt Through the Ages)
||Siuuardbi , Siward Bi
||Siwardeby , Sywardeby , Syuuardby
||Seuerdby , Siwardeby , Sywardby
William the Conqueror had a complete survey of England
drawn up, showing the former and present owners of land.
At this time, much of the land in Sewerby was owned
by Carle and Torchil, and so it is noted in the Domesday
Book that; "In Siwardbi, Carle and Torchil had two manors,
of six carucates and a half. It is now waste."
the origin of the name: It was the (by) abode of Siward. (This
is a Danish personal name, and one who bore it was the Governor
of Northumbria). And, that Sewerby had two manors which were
owned by Carle and Torchil, though no subsequent reference
deals with more than one. And finally, that after William
put down the English revolt in 1069, much of the land was
(Carucate - Measurement
of land in Danish Counties, the equivalent of a hide (approx
120 acres). Used in Domesday for tax purposes. See www.domesdaybook.co.uk
for more info) .
The two manors,
formally owned by Carle & Torchil, were passed down in
1086 to Robert Count of Mortain and the Earl of Cornwall,
the half-brother to William the Conqueror. Though, in the
year 1088 Count Robert had his estate confiscated. There is
no record of the fate of Robert's under-tenant, Richard de
Surdeval, though it is possible his family survived as the
de Sywardbys, using the name of the village.
The estate of
Mortain passed to the Paynel family and then on to the archbishops
of Canterbury. The land was held for them by the Meynells.
The Meynells then granted land to Osbert de Sywardby sometime
in the 1170's.
The de Sywardbys
appear to have owned most of the land around Sewerby and Marton.
Their position strengthened by marriages with the de Martons
and the de Bucktons and during the 14th Century 3 generations
of the de Sywardby family were knighted.
In 1234 Robert
de Sywardby held 3 carucates of land with William de Sywardby
holding 4 carucates by 1299. Robert of Sewerby was lord of
the manor in 1316 and the family held it until the death of
William de Sywardby in 1452. Williams's daughter held the
land until her son sold the land to Ralph Raysing in 1545
and so the estate finally passed out of the hands of the descendants
of Osbert de Sywardby after nearly 400 years. In the same
year Raysing also bought other properties in Sewerby. Raysing
held the land until 1567 when he sold it to John Carliell.
family held the land until 1714 when it was sold to John
Graeme. John Graeme was actually living in the manor house
when he bought the land. It is said that John and his son
Robert made their fortunes by acting as agents for a Lady
Boococke, a considerable landowner in Bridlington. Sewerby
House was almost re-built by John Graeme between the
years 1714 & 1720. There are however traces of the old house
still to be seen inside the hall, most notably the Tudor doorway
in the seem-basement.
In 1779 the peace
of Sewerby was disturbed by an event of national importance.
The Battle of Flamborough Head was fought in clear view
of the Hall between the ships of the Royal Navy and
the United States Ships under the command of John Paul
Jones. The cliffs at Sewerby and Bridlington were lined
with spectators but fearing an invasion Mrs Graeme,
taking her jewellery with her made haste for York.
was considerably altered around 1807 by John Graemes
Nephew and heir, also known as John Graeme, with the
final alterations being made by Yarburgh Graeme in 1848.
It was in this year that the archway to the stable yard
was added along with the gatehouse that leads from the
Hall grounds to the village main street. The house was
in the Graeme family estate until 1934 when Yarburgh
Lloyd Graeme sold the house and grounds to the Bridlington
Corporation who re-named it Sewerby Hall.
On the 1st
June 1936 the Hall was opened to the public for the first
time, by the aviation heroin, Amy Johnson. During World
War II the Hall was converted into a hospital to accommodate
war wounded returning from France. Today, the Hall as a
special section devoted to the heroic flying achievements
of Amy Johnson, which includes many trophies and memorabilia.